The simple answer to that question is a big NO. When it comes to pre-workouts, there are various brands, flavours, and, most importantly, combinations of ingredients to choose from. So, no not all pre-workouts are the same and choosing the right one for you is a must before you hit the gym.
If you are new to the pre-workout scene, don’t worry, there’s a supplement designed for you. Are you a hardcore gym goes and pre-workout user? Read on and find out the most hardcore pre-workouts available in Australia. Are you looking for the right amount of caffeine without sending your energy through the rough? Yes, there’s a supplement designed with medium stimulants!
What are Pre-workouts?
Pre-workouts are supplements designed to optimise your mind and body for maximal performance. Brands will use various combinations of ingredients for different goals, and you’ll also find that certain products have different amounts of a specific ingredient. Pre-workouts can be classified into three categories high, medium and low stimulants.
3 Types of Pre-workouts
Choosing the right pre-workout for your specific goals is a must before you hit the gym. There are three types of pre-workouts you will find in the supplement aisle: high, medium and low stimulants.
- High stimulants: if you are a pre-workout lover and experienced, a high stimulant supplement is on the cards. These supplements will have high amounts of caffeine, giving you a big energy kick when you want and need it most. High stims are not for the faint-hearted, as this supplement will leave you feeling jittery and on high alert. They are powerful as they will quickly give you a big energy kick, perfect for pumping you up for the most gruelling sessions. One of the best high stim pre-workout recommended by the Nutrition Warehouse peeps is Mayhem by Pharma Labs – caffeine content 350mg per serving.
- Medium Stimulants: these are the perfect combination of pump and energy. Medium stims contain the standard and well-balanced blend of ingredients for better energy, power and performance to get you through a session. They will give you the right balance between high and low stims. The pick here is Applied Nutrition ABE (All Black Everything), 200mg of caffeine per serving. Definitely, one of the most popular medium stim pre-workouts, which will provide you with the right combination to keep you in the zone while unleashing explosive energy.
- Low Stimulants: if you are caffeine sensitive and prefer to take it easy, low stim pre-workouts are for you then. They are great to give you the right amount of energy without you feeling jittery or crashed. These are also great for people that are just starting to take pre-workouts. Don’t be fooled! Low stims will deliver everything you need to smash your workout and achieve your goals. The favourite one is Gold Standard Pre Workout by Optimum Nutrition, with only 175mg of caffeine per serving.
It’s important to remember that each brand will craft a pre-workout differently, but here are some of the most common/key ingredients you will find in pre-workouts.
- Caffeine: gives you all that critical kick in energy, as well as strength, power, and endurance.
- Beta-Alanine: gives you that tingly sensation, and it helps you get more reps out of every set.
- L-Citrulline: it helps to boost nitric oxide levels, delivering more oxygen and nutrients to muscles.
- L-Tyrosine: helps with better energy and fight fatigue
- L-Theanine: increase mental focus without the jitters that come with high levels of caffeine
Other popular ingredients found in pre-workouts include creatine, theacrine, bitter orange, taurine, acetyl l-carnitine, and glutamine, to name a few. If you are still unsure which one to choose from, read the How To Find the Right Pre-Workout article or the Top 5 Pre-Workouts You Must Try. And remember that not all pre-workouts are the same. You just need to find the right one for your needs!